A DIY headboard – how difficult can it be? You have seen a gazillion dream headboards that you would love to see behind your bed! You really want to jazz up your bed with a gorgeous headboard, but money is putting a damper on your dreams… What to do what to do….? Pinterest of course – when in doubt, always use pinterest! 🙂
I browsed websites and searched pinterest for that perfect headboard. But alas… I could not find quite what I was looking for. So, I used the more creative side of my brain and came up with a perfect solution. My own DIY Plywood Headboard. This is super simple, I hardly had to do any work! And as a bonus, the cost was a sheet of plywood and some trim. Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?
What you will need:
- One sheet of plywood (I used 1/4″ plywood and let home depot cut it up into 6″ strips)
- Paint (I used white, water-based paint and thinned it with water for the plywood and grey paint for the trim)
- Paint brush
- Nail gun (or just a hammer and nails)
Here are the before shots. You can see that it is a little dull. That wall definitely needed some sprucing up to do!
- White was the boards with your thinned paint. I used a cloth to smear and spread the paint as I went along.
- Also paint your trim.
- Plan the position of your boards (we wanted it centre with regards to the wall)
- Start nailing the planks (we had two spots that we had to cut open/trim for outlets and vents)
- Nail your trim.
- And voila! You now have a brand new fancy headboard!!
I am crazy about how this room is shaping up!! I have a couple of other DIY’s to share from this room which I will post in the near future. In the meantime, have you tried your own headboard?